Saturday, April 4, 2009

Words that changed my life

I have been thinking a lot, for the past couple of weeks.. wrote down a lot about me... typed pages and pages like a mad man... but I wasnt convinced on what I wrote.. was it worth a read ??  But ya.. then I thought why dont I share something which helped induce, a spark within me long back, which led me to what I am today... 

Some 5 years back my friend took with him a print out, to the class room... he said it was really inspiring... Back at the hostel I read it twice.. thrice... may be a couple of times more.. It was really inspiring.. Here is an un cencored version of it... take ur time to read...

My friend opened the drawer of his wife's chest and took a packet of lingerie wrapped with rice paper: “This,” - he said - “isn’t any ordinary package.” . He threw away the paper and he observed the beautiful silk and embroidery. "We bought it the first time we went to New York, 8 or 9 years ago. She never used it. She was keeping it for a special occasion. "Well I think this is the right occasion." He went close to the bed and he put it next to the other things he was going to bring to the funeral home. His wife had just died...

He turned to me and said “Never save something for a special occasion.  Every day in your life is a special occasion.”

I still think those words changed my life.

Now I read more and clean less.  I sit on the porch without worrying about anything.  I spend more time with my family, and less at work.  I use crystal glasses every day.   I’ll wear new clothes to go to the supermarket, if I feel like it.  I don’t save my special perfume for special occasions; I use it whenever I want to.  The words ‘Someday…’ and ‘ One Day…’ are fading away from my dictionary.  If it’s worth seeing, listening or doing, I want to see, listen or do it now.

I don’t know what my friend’s wife would have done if she knew she wouldn’t be there the next morning, this nobody can tell.   I think she might have called her relatives and closest friends.  She might call old friends to make peace over past quarrels.   I’d like to think she would go out for Chinese, her favorite food.   It’s these small things that I would regret not doing, if I knew my time had come.  Each day, each hour, each minute, is special.   Live for today, for tomorrow is promised to no-one.

No comments:

Post a Comment